Friday, August 8, 2008

I Need to Have a Job to Do

Part 6 of "These Are My Needs As A Resident"

I need to feel that I am contributing in some way. It is difficult sometimes to accept help, to need to have someone doing everything for me that I used to be able to do for myself. It can be demeaning, and I may come across as ungrateful. I don’t mean to, it’s just that I feel so useless at times, and I get frustrated. Let me help. Find something for me to do. It doesn’t have to be something big. I can fold towels, or sew on a button, or lick envelopes, or read the newspaper to other residents, or write a letter for someone. Just ask. I never get asked. And, please don’t assume I need help pushing my wheelchair. Let me try to do it. It may be one of the few things I am still able to do.

No comments: